More than two-thirds of companies (68%) plan to formally deploy iPads or other tablet computers by 2012, with sales force automation applications, particularly cloud-based systems, a key driver of that adoption, according to a survey from Model Metrics.
Nearly one-quarter of surveyed business professionals (22%) say they have already deployed tablet computers and another 22% plan to do so in 2011.
Only 20% of business professionals say they have no plans to deploy tablet computers.
Apple iPad, iOS Lead Adoption
Among those planning to deploy tablets computers:
- Apple's iPad is the top brand (83%), followed by the BlackBerry PlayBook (19%), HP Slate (14%), Motorola Xoom (13%), and Dell Streak (11%).
- Apple iOS is the top operating system (83%), followed by Google Android (34%), and Microsoft Windows (14%).
Top Business Application: Sales Force Automation
Sales force automation (SFA) systems are the top-ranked application for iPads (47%), followed by service desk applications (35%).
Roughly one in five business professionals (21%) say expense submission systems are an ideal application for iPads, while nearly 40% want to access enterprise applications such as ERP (20%) or business financials (17%).
Looking for great digital marketing data? MarketingProfs reviewed hundreds of research sources to create our most recent Digital Marketing Factbook (May 2010), a 296-page compilation of data and 254 charts, covering email marketing, social media, search engine marketing, e-commerce, and mobile marketing. Also check out The State of Social Media Marketing, a 240-page original research report from MarketingProfs.
Cloud-Based Systems a Key Driver
Users of cloud-based applications drive demand for iPads: 84% of business professionals who use Salesforce.com, a cloud-based SFA solution, prefer a tablet for that application, compared with 47% of all business professionals surveyed.
Other key findings:
- iPads won't replace laptops: Only 18% of business professionals say tablets are likely to replace laptops, compared with 82% who view tablets as a complement to laptops.
- Executives are the heaviest tablet users, both now (53%) and in the future (65%).
About the data: Findings are from a survey of 448 business executives, business managers, IT executives, IT managers, and IT professionals from a wide range of company sizes and industry verticals, conducted online by Dimensional Research for Model Metrics in April 2011. Roughly 90% of respondents were from companies in North America, and the remaining 10% from companies in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.