MarketingVOX: Spending by consumer packaged goods marketers on internet advertising is steadily growing, reports eMarketer.
The growing spending for online ads runs counter to the decreased funds they're putting toward other media. The growth is part of an acknowledgment by food and drink marketers that people are going online for food tips and recipes. Most of that is going toward display and other branded ads and not search ads.
CPG online spending has risen from $470 million in 2006 to $600 million in 2007. That's expected to rise to $1.132 billion in 2011. Food and beverage spending is roughly steady at about 45 percent of all CPG products. In 2006 online spending was just two percent of CPG budgets compared to the 62 percent that goes toward TV.
- iCrossing: CPG Marketers Missing Online Opportunities
- Consumers Pull CPG Manufacturers Online
- Yahoo Profits Soar on Back of Online Advertising
- Net's Market Influence, Retailer Bullying, Cause CPG Brand Proliferation
- Traditional Media Losing Viewers, CPG Advertisers to Net