It's not personal. Really. You may be a wonderful person, a great dad or mom, a super human being, in fact. But, I may not follow you back anyway. Want to know why?
1. You haven't included any biographical information about yourself. How do I know you're not a criminal? A spy? If you don't reveal anything, then it's hard to befriend you.
2. We share absolutely no common ground. If you're into deer hunting, pie-eating contests, and football, chances are we aren't going to have much to talk about.
3. Your previous posts are all quotes from other people. Yuck, my pet peeve. Sorry, not interested.
4. Your only raison d'être for social networking is to promote your product, service, or latest MLM scheme. Forget it.
5. You post about local issues, local places, or local deals---and I don't live in your city.
6. You try to impress me with your own accolades.
7. You tweet to say goodnight. (Gag me with a spoon.)
8. You post way too much and way too frequently.
9. Your profession or mission in life has nothing to do with me. I don't need a mortgage; I don't have an iPhone; I'm not investing with you; I don't need you to help me live my passionate life; I'm not interested in your first novel; and I certainly don't need a stretch limousine in Germany.
10. You claim to be a social media guru, yet you have 86 followers.
What reasons would YOU add? (Come on, get it off your chest.)
Ready to test your Twitter knowledge? Take our 10-question Twitter quiz, then you can download our Twitter guide "How to Be Twitter Superfly in 12 Simple Steps."
Elaine Fogel is president and CMO of Solutions Marketing & Consulting LLC, and a marketing and branding thought leader, speaker, writer, and MarketingProfs contributor. She is the author of the Beyond Your Logo: 7 Brand Ideas That Matter Most for Small Business Success.
LinkedIn: Elaine Fogel