"Enter for a chance to win..."
I see that call to action—or something similar—all over.
You do, too. Social media is certainly no exception. Contests, competitions, and sweepstakes are raging hot across the major networks as a go-to strategy for so many content marketers.
The answer is that we humans are wired to get involved in contests. We want to play, compete, and, of course, win.
As a copywriter and marketing strategist, I've been probing what makes people tick for decades. I know a fair share about what engages people, but I'm no psychologist.
So I did some research because I wanted to know why "contest marketing" is so compelling.
I picked up these insights from Sander van der Linder PhD on Psychology Today:
- For most people, there is something inexplicably compelling about the nature of competition.
- "Competitiveness" is a biological trait that co-evolved with the basic need for survival.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Top 10 Video Trends [Infographic]
- Six Tips to Ensure Your B2B Content Marketing Efforts Are Not Wasted
- Why You Need to Produce Original Research: B2B Marketing Forum Speaker Clare McDermott on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Three Less-Popular Content Marketing Tactics That Still Generate Traffic, Links, and Social Shares
- The 7 Deadly Sins of B2B Content: GoToWebinar's Daniel Waas on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]