The Internet has changed how organizations manage. Historically, management was focused on “walking and talking.” Today, “reading and writing” are becoming more and more central.
This trend is reinforced by a recent META Group study, which found that 80% of business people choose email as their primary communication tool.
The evolution of the information economy is marked by an increasing formalization of how business is done. In the past, business was often based around contacts, lunches and handshakes. Less business is done that way today.
Take, for example, Amazon, which has over 30 million customers. How many of these customers have talked to, let alone met, an Amazon representative?
Very, very few. The vast majority have interacted with Amazon through content. This content is either published on the Amazon Web site or delivered by email.
The META Group study (released April 22, 2003), found that 80% of business people believe that email is a more valuable communication tool than the phone. The top three reasons people prefer email over the phone are these:
- It allows communication with multiple parties.
- It enables more rapid communication.
- It allows for communication to be formally recorded.
“These findings reveal a major tipping point in the evolution of communications,” states Matt Cain of the META Group. “Clearly, email best suits a changing business climate characterized by geographically distributed workgroups, extreme mobility, the need for rapid information dissemination, and a desire for reusable business records.”
Content—whether in emails, Web sites or printed documents—has become the oil that lubricates business. It is surprising, therefore, how poor many organizations are at understanding the value and cost of content.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- 10 Examples of the Best Brand-Community Landing Pages
- The High Cost of 'Inexpensive' Website Design and SEO: A Thorough Guide
- Why You Need to Boost Your Website's Page-Load Speed [Infographic]
- Five Website Conversion Principles That Will Increase Your Lead Volume
- How to Optimize Page Titles to Strengthen Your Website's SEO