The product management team I work with interviews roughly 50 B2B marketers a quarter. Those conversations provide me a 50,0000-foot view of how Twitter is being used as a marketing strategy—or, rather, how it's not.
Twitter can be great both for brand awareness and for driving leads; but, from a high-level perch, I see that almost all B2B marketers are struggling with either how to simply use Twitter or how to optimize their approach.
Though a recent report claimed that as many as 84% of B2B companies are using Twitter for marketing purposes, I'd argue that that percentage misrepresents how many B2B execs are really working to incorporate the channel into their marketing strategy.
From my experience, I'd say about 70% of B2B companies on Twitter have an account and send out a tweet every now and then. The other 30%, though... they're really trying to make it work.
Whether you're looking to move beyond the occasional tweet or you're aiming to polish your approach, here are some tips for how you, as a B2B marketer, can take full advantage of Twitter as a marketing tool.
1. Create—and Share—Great Content
Content marketing is at the core of most B2B marketing programs. B2B sales cycles are long, so prospects must be nurtured over time through the decision cycle. To nurture leads, you will often create a series of relevant content pieces, such as whitepapers and webinars.
But there are only so many whitepapers and webinars that your marketing team can create, considering how resource intensive the process can be—not to mention that material can only be reused so much.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- How Effective Is Your Brand on Social Media? Here's How You Can Measure That.
- How to Plan Your Social Media Marketing: Four Tools for Approvals, Workflow, and Collaboration
- 21 Instagram Stats Every E-Commerce Brand Should Know [Infographic]
- Five Things Micro-Influencers Want Brands to Understand in 2019
- Get Started on Your Social Media Plan (Because It Matters to Your Customer Marketing)