Today's key to subscriber engagement is personalized and relevant email content. Behavioral segmentation is one of the best ways of reaching your target audience and sending exactly what they want.
Email list segmentation by email opens allows you to discover who hasn't opened your recent campaign and who has stopped reading your newsletters already for some time, so you can resend unopened campaigns or prepare compelling re-engagement campaigns for inactive users.
Segmentation by email clicks allows you to track how active and interested your subscribers are in your email campaigns. If the activity is low, you can proceed with call-to-action improvements and more personalized email content.
So, to considerably improve your email marketing results, stop treating everyone on your email list the same. Segmented email campaigns produce approximately a 30% higher open rate and a 50% click through rate than undifferentiated messages, according to a Monetate survey.
Most companies consider trigger-based segmentation as something complex and time-consuming; in fact, every marketer can easily perform simple segmentation by campaign results. Apart from manual work, a lot of ESPs offer segmentation features.
Here are nine easy-to-use ideas on how to perform segmentation by activity.
1. Resend your newsletter with another subject line to those who haven't opened the previous one within a few days. Try elements that always work in a subject line: numbers, questions, superlatives, "how tos" and "you" and "yours" for more personalized email newsletters.
2. Resend your email campaign with a new call to action to those who opened but haven't clicked. Use several call to action links instead of just one (all pointing to the same landing page). Guide your customers to the landing page not only via a call to action button but also via images and hyperlinks in the text.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Five Segmentation Gaffes (And How to Avoid Them)
- Relationship Marketing and GDPR: Avoiding the Traps of Personalization Data and Targeting Tech
- Six Ways Bad Data Can Cost You, and Five Tips for Cleansing It [Infographic]
- Personalizing Your B2B Marketing to Supercharge Lead Gen: Adobe's Drew Burns on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Segmentation Models Are Outdated: How to Update Your Marketing Segmentation Practices