The business is going well, and you're getting some traction on Facebook, but you're at the point of social media burnout. You've decided it's about time your business had a dedicated social media manager. Good move. Because it's a big job, even if you're using the best social media management tools.
But what skills, traits, and experience you should be looking for in the perfect social media manager?
1. Experience With Multiple Platforms
It may sound obvious, but a social media manager who has experience only with Twitter and Facebook isn't going to be the perfect candidate. What about blogs, forums, and newer platforms such as Instagram and Pinterest? Your social media manager needs to understand the major social platforms; at the very least, he must have the ability to learn the platforms quickly.
Part of understanding social is understanding the platforms and how they can be most effectively used to benefit your brand. As your social media strategy grows, you may well need to use more platforms, and you need your manager to be able to hit the ground running on those new platforms.
2. Great Writing Skills
To effectively communicate across social media platforms, your social media manager has to have an adaptable and engaging writing style. The way we communicate on Twitter can be very different from the way we do on Facebook: We all know that getting your point across in 140 characters can be tough! You manager needs to be able to write long-form text, too, particularly if you're using a blog as part of your strategy.
3. A Thick Skin
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Four Types of Influencers for Your Influencer Marketing Campaigns
- On Social Media, a Little Brand Personality Goes a Long Way
- Instagram Stories 101: What Marketers Need to Know [Infographic]
- Using Influencer Marketing on LinkedIn for World Domination (And Brand Awareness): Goldie Chan on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- The Next Big Influencer Platforms and Trends in Social Media Engagement