When you have worked as a UX consultant for 15 years and counting, you fix a lot of mistakes.
In this article, I'll cover seven mistakes that I come across regularly, and I will include simple strategies to help you overcome them.
If you decide to fix even one of the following mistakes, you will see better results for you and your business.
Important: Don't try to solve all of the mistakes at once. Pick the one strategy that your team or organization will be most receptive to. Help them get used to doing things a different way, and seeing the benefits, before moving on to the next one.
Mistake 1: Focusing on Competitors Within Your Industry Only
Look outside your vertical first. Unless you're in a cutting-edge design industry/vertical such as consumer travel or food delivery, chances are the best-in-class online experiences are happening outside your vertical.
It used to be that customers compared your offering to that of your competitors, especially in the B2B world. Now, they compare you to Amazon, Airbnb, Spotify, or the like—the "places" where they spend 80% of their time.
By looking outside the vertical, you also understand how your customers are viewing you in context of other choices in their lives.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Marketers and Retailers, Want to Survive the Holiday Season? Implement AI.
- A Seven-Step Guide to Creating a Successful Marketing Plan [Infographic]
- Two Great Tactics That Work Great Together, B2B Social Selling and ABM: LinkedIn's Ty Heath on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- The State of Conversational Marketing: Online Customer Experience, Chatbots, Trends
- CDPs, DMPs, CRMs... Oh My! Which Data Solution Is Right for You? (A Guide for Marketers)