When trick-or-treaters head out for their favorite candy on Halloween night, they'll be most delighted by the sight of a Nestlé's Butterfinger: Consumers are more passionate about that brand than any other major Halloween candy, according to the NetBase Brand Passion Index, which measures the intensity of consumer passion for brands among users of online communities.
The October brand passion index measured Halloween candy-related consumer insights around popular brands Nestlé's Butterfinger, Brach's Candy Corn, Hershey's Kit-Kat, Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, and Mars' Snickers.
Butterfinger was associated with the most positive passionate feelings, while Snickers was the most talked about candy brand. Surprisingly, sentiment for Brach's Candy Corn was mixed, with the 80-year-old candy generating the most negative conversation among the brands studied.
Using measures across a spectrum of emotions—love, like, dislike, and hate—the Netbase Brand Passion Index reads and understands what people are saying online, then surfaces and aggregates those likes and dislikes, as well as the emotions and behaviors associated with brands.
Below, excerpts from online discussions capture the passion that consumers feel about some of the major candy brands.
Looking for real, hard data that can help you match social media tools and tactics to your marketing goals? The State of Social Media Marketing, a 240-page original research report from MarketingProfs, gives you the inside scoop on how 5,140 marketing pros are using social media to create winning campaigns, measure ROI, and reach audiences in new and exciting ways.
Among the five brands, Butterfinger generated the highest volume of intensely positive feelings—"love," (70%). Online conversations referenced Butterfinger for its great taste and recognized the brand for its effective use of social media:
- "Butterfinger is my all-time favorite candy bar!"
- "My definition of food is Butterfinger candy bars."
- "Butterfinger has one of the largest Facebook fan pages for a confections brand, with more than 500,000 Facebook users connected to the beloved candy bar."
Snickers received the highest volume of total conversations, accounting for 50% of those included in the index, but the positive sentiment around that brand was relatively less passionate. Many of such conversations referenced Snickers' historic legacy. The popular candy bar was also associated with energy and wellness, which reflects Snickers' popular advertising campaign from the 1980s:
- "Snickers is the best-selling candy bar of all time, largely because it has been popular ever since its introduction in 1930."
- "Snickers is the most popular candy bar in America, due in part to advertising that highlighted its healthful aspects."
- "I like Mars and Snickers, preferably snickers because they [Mars and Snickers] give me an energy boost."