Marketing has been around as long as people have been. In fact, author Dan Pink has called people's ability to sell a "fundamental human quality" (head over to the Marketing Smarts podcast to hear what else he had to say).
But how people market has evolved throughout the decades.
Modern marketing has been around since the early 20th century, according to Marketo. As the human population grew and the age of industrialization kicked in, the amount of goods became greater than the number of available customers, sparking fierce competition. Businesses began to promote the superiority of their products and services over that of their competitors'. Thus, "modern marketing was born."
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Navigating Your (Marketing) Future With a Digital Map: Jeremiah Owyang on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Marketing Department Roles and Salaries [Infographic]
- Event Planning: What You Need to Know [Infographic]
- When (and How) to Use Marketing Automation: Katie Robbert on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Data Troubles: What If You're Trying, But You Still Don't Know Much About Your Customers