The tectonic plates of social are moving! Get the latest on acquisitions—including Twitter's Madbits buy and Pinterest's Icebergs buy—plus tips on how to hook users in stories, where Instagram is challenging Snapchat, and whether there’s life after the Like. Skim to stay attuned.
French revolutionary assassins, meet... parkour? Topping the viral brand charts is a promotion for the upcoming Assassin's Creed Unity game, which takes YouTubers' love of parkour videos and combines it with 18th century revolutionary costume. (The setting of the game is the French Revolution.) Stunts were performed by Ronnie Shalvis and the French FreeRun family. Considering that it's the only video game ad we've willingly watched in full, we'll say its nearly 7 million views are well-earned.
Skip the ad, kill a puppy. Nail Communications produced a smart YouTube pre-roll ad that uses a common weakness, puppies, to keep people from skipping it (research shows that ads are better remembered when seen in full). Plus, the ad talks directly to you; there's interplay with the "Skip Ad" button; and the puppy thing, however creepy, ties in nicely with Nail's commitment to donate to the ASPCA—"to save some more puppies!"—in exchange for your view. Tubefilter says it gets watched 26% of the time, which is huge for pre-roll.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- The Value in Going Viral (And Five Steps to Improve Your Odds)
- Four Types of Influencers for Your Influencer Marketing Campaigns
- On Social Media, a Little Brand Personality Goes a Long Way
- Using Influencer Marketing on LinkedIn for World Domination (And Brand Awareness): Goldie Chan on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Instagram Stories 101: What Marketers Need to Know [Infographic]