MediaBuyerPlanner: Better price is the most important factor influencing a brand switch among college students, according to 60.5 percent of 800 college students, ages 18-24, that were recently surveyed by Burst Media. Friends' recommendations were second at 48.5 percent. Female college students are significantly more likely than males to cite these factors as an influencer on brand switching; better pricing (65.2 percent vs. 55.7 percent), and friends' recommendations (55.6 percent vs. 41.5 percent).
About one-third of students surveyed say they use the Internet more than 10 hours during a typical week; 20.3 percent say more than 20 hours. Meanwhile, less than 20 percent say they spend more than ten hours a week watching television or listening to the radio; and sizable numbers say they spend less than three hours per week watching television (30.1 percent) or listening to the radio (45.6 percent).
College students are also multi-media multi-taskers. Nearly two-thirds of respondents say they use a computer while watching television, and 60.2 percent say they typically use a computer when listening to the radio. Male college students are more likely than female college students to say they use a computer while watching television (68.6 percent vs. 58.8 percent).
"The Internet is the media to reach college students," says Chuck Moran, Manager of Market Research for Burst. "The 18-24 years old segment has fully integrated the Internet into their daily lives. In fact, for a significant proportion of the segment, the Internet is the primary communication vehicle, information source, and entertainment channel - in short it is the media of choice. As advertisers develop media plans they should leverage the vast content of the Internet and design their creative with the understanding that the 18-24 years target is an experienced and demanding Internet segment."
- College Students Wired from Dorm Room to Classroom
- The Young Drive Internet Video Adoption
- College Kids' Back-to-School Spending Twice K-12
- Ads in Textbooks Reach College Kids
- MTV to Acquire Atom Entertainment
- Gannett Buys College Paper
- MTV Networks Targets College Pubs with Y2M Acquisition
- Targeting College Students Through Cell Phones
- College Students Spend on Socially Responsible Brands
- CSTV Upfront: Fresh TV, Broadband Programming
- Webshots Launches New Social Network 'CollegeLive'
- 'March Madness' Ad Spending Bigger than Super Bowl, World Series
- CampusAdTrader Makes Buying Ads in College Papers Easier
- College Viewers: First Out-of-Home Nielsen Sample
- Online Ads Influence College Students to Buy
- Online Advertising Motivates College Students to Buy
- Most Students Don't Mind Cell Phone Ads
- Advertisers 'Lust' after Students, Campus Papers Deliver
- Yahoo Search: Students Rate Search Best Source of Info
- CampusAdTrader Lets Buyers Bid for Ad Space