Humor is human! Despite that, there haven't been many great examples of humor in B2B. I believe that is changing.
Moreover, according to a global Nielsen Survey of Trust in Advertising conducted in September 2013 of 58 countries, 47% of respondents said that humor resonates more than any content approach.
Laughter lowers the intellectual shield your busy prospects have up all day just to survive the messaging onslaught. Humor opens up a space for connecting because it disrupts the expected pattern.
Here are six types of humor that grab attention and generate conversation.
1. The Truth
The truth is funny and human. Talking about a truth (for example, a real problem) your audience recognizes shows that you get them and demonstrates empathy.
For example, relationships are funny. In 2012, I wrote about a supply-chain management software company called Kinaxis. It has a very funny video that parodies the "awkward" relationship between a vendor and customer by comparing it to a precarious dating one. And it is. The customer can dump a company at any time.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- How to Motivate Buyers in the Age of Infinite Media: Mathew Sweezey on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- How to Structure Your Content for Organic Google Rankings: A Proven Process
- The Top Content Marketing-Related Search Queries and Hashtags
- Five Content Marketing Myths Debunked
- Having One Marketing Writer Can Be Ideal (And What to Do If That Person Leaves)