Humor is human! Despite that, there haven't been many great examples of humor in B2B. I believe that is changing.
Moreover, according to a global Nielsen Survey of Trust in Advertising conducted in September 2013 of 58 countries, 47% of respondents said that humor resonates more than any content approach.
Laughter lowers the intellectual shield your busy prospects have up all day just to survive the messaging onslaught. Humor opens up a space for connecting because it disrupts the expected pattern.
Here are six types of humor that grab attention and generate conversation.
1. The Truth
The truth is funny and human. Talking about a truth (for example, a real problem) your audience recognizes shows that you get them and demonstrates empathy.
For example, relationships are funny. In 2012, I wrote about a supply-chain management software company called Kinaxis. It has a very funny video that parodies the "awkward" relationship between a vendor and customer by comparing it to a precarious dating one. And it is. The customer can dump a company at any time.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Effective Video Testimonials That Inspire Action: Storytelling Summit Speaker Andrew Davis on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Five Steps to Building Trust With Thought Leadership
- Brand Video Benchmarks: Length and Engagement Trends
- 10 Effective Tactics for Promoting Your Content
- Why Podcasts? Why Now? How to Leverage the Power of Podcasts for Your Brand