Brain science is all the rage in marketing today. Why? As humans, we're naturally intrigued by the way our minds work. And as marketers, we're always intrigued by ways to better connect with our fellow humans.
Brain science can be deployed at several points in the marketing funnel, but it's especially effective when optimizing a call-to-action (CTA). By using what we know about neuroscience, emotion, and human behavior, modern marketers can make small but strategic changes to their CTAs that drive more sales, make new connections, and boost their company's bottom line.
Here are three brain-based click boosters that will take your conversion rates to the next level.
Click Booster #1: Pick the right color
Human beings are hardwired to be visual creatures: 90% of the information that comes to the brain arrives via our optic nerve, and that visual data is processed thousands of times faster than what our brain receives in text form. Subconscious judgments are made in a split second, and up to 90% of those judgments are based on color.
So, what color is right for your CTA button? It largely depends on what action you want visitors to take.
Here's a quick breakdown of how our brains react to five major colors (we'll cover mauve and burnt sienna next time):
- Orange encourages immediate action. Consider orange if you want people to sign up, buy, or join right away. It's also the color most associated with cheap or inexpensive things.
- Red increases energy and creates a sense of urgency. Try red if you're running a sale, promoting a limited-time offer, or selling tickets to an event close to selling out.
- Yellow gets attention and creates low-level anxiety. It both promotes positive feelings and causes just enough anxiety to move people to action without stopping them in their tracks.
- Blue builds trust and security. It's the most popular favorite color in the world and is the choice for brands that want their customers to feel safe and secure. (Look at your bank's logo. There's a good chance it features lots of blue.)
- Green promotes growth and relaxation. We all know green means go, which is pretty handy for CTAs. It's also easiest for the eyes to process, so it's often used to relax the mind.
And if you're not sure which button color to choose, test it! A simple A/B test will help you see which one converts better for your audience.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Marketing Beyond Millennials: Connecting With Generation Z
- Brands Teens Like: Top Clothing, Social Media, and Video Brands [Infographic]
- The Home Is at the Heart of Commerce Marketing [Infographic]
- How Concerned Are Consumers About Online Privacy?
- Neuroscience and Marketing Storytelling: Context Is Everything [Video]