One of the traps that many organizations fall into when launching a new Web initiative is putting the focus of the project on new technology or new functionality.
Often clients will come to us and say "our website needs video" or "we need to start blogging" or "let's put together an email campaign."
To which we respond, Why? Are you trying to generate leads/sales? Do you want to provide information for educational purposes? Are you promoting an event? Do you want to grow your membership/contact list?
And, How many people do you need to reach to make the project worth your time and budget?
The Expensive Way: Throw It Against the Wall and See if It Sticks!
Regardless of what you are doing with the new technologyâ€”building a website, developing a mobile application, creating a social-media campaign, or launching an email campaignâ€”you have to start with the end result.
You can't be successful if you don't have a benchmark against which to measure results. Not only do you need to build your communication tool, but you also need a strategy for getting your content in front of your target audience and for driving action from the user.
- If you post a video about the world's greatest product and no one sees it, how many people will buy the product?
- What if everyone sees the video, but there are no instructions on how to buy the product?
- What if the video quality is poor and it puts a negative impression of your overall brand in the mind of a potential customer?
All those questions should be answered in the planning process. The outline below takes you through some project phases that you need to include when launching any Web campaign.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- How to Grow Your Company Fast: 'Scale or Fail' Author Allison Maslan on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- How to Put the 'Function' in Cross-Functional Teams [Infographic]
- Seven Challenges Plaguing the Modern Workplace [Infographic]
- Five Ways to Use Video in Your Hiring Process
- How to Use an Agile Marketing Strategy to Improve Your Marketing Campaigns