I had a cold recently and used my downtime to catch up on email, voicemail, etc. I had the luxury of watching some television, too. As a home-and-hearth kind of person, I feel as though HGTV was made for me.
As I watched some of the network's 30-minute shows, I thought, "They make it look so easy. All I need is a few days, a sledgehammer, a thousand dollars, and voila—that major home makeover I'd been planning would be complete."
Then it occurred to me that many marketers approach their marketing plan in the same way: a few days and a few dollars, and voila—a new marketing plan!
Well, the truths and myths of real-time television apply to the creation of a marketing plan. Here are three HGTV myths that marketers can learn from.
1. It's fast
There's no such thing as a 30-minute makeover or a 30-minute marketing plan. Many HGTV programs portray a major overhaul that's completed in a matter of days. And, let's face it, who hasn't fast-tracked a marketing plan? But the truth is that a lot happens behind the scenes to prepare those wonderful HGTV shows. And there had better be a lot happening behind the scenes if you want your marketing plan to have "divine design."
Off screen, a large team of experts have spent months developing and costing the plan, creating a project schedule, taking measurements, making selections, and organizing contractors and crews. That should also be the approach when developing a solid marketing plan. If you want a marketing plan that has the same effect on your leadership team as those home makeovers have on viewers, you will need to invest the time and resources to do the behind-the-scenes legwork first.
2. It's free
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Marketers and Retailers, Want to Survive the Holiday Season? Implement AI.
- A Seven-Step Guide to Creating a Successful Marketing Plan [Infographic]
- Two Great Tactics That Work Great Together, B2B Social Selling and ABM: LinkedIn's Ty Heath on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- The State of Conversational Marketing: Online Customer Experience, Chatbots, Trends
- CDPs, DMPs, CRMs... Oh My! Which Data Solution Is Right for You? (A Guide for Marketers)