Today, just about anyone can create a new website on any topic and gather a team around it to develop and grow the site through content.
But many people fail to get on the first page of search engine results pages (SERPs) because they believe it's just about content, rather than also doing keyword research, creating a semantic kernel, making the website mobile friendly, or even putting the right alt text for images, and so on.
The following list is an SEO checklist of actions that you need to take to optimize your website for search engines.
Step 1: Use Google Webmaster Tools
If you want your website to rank well in Google search, you really need to use this service. It will give you all the data, tools, and diagnostics you need to create a friendly website for users and for search engines.
Step 2: Install Google Analytics
Google Analytics is one the most popular analytics services, and it's absolutely free. Use it to measure the traffic of your website, the demographics of the visitors, the content they're most interested in, their navigational behavior while on your site, and many other factors that you need to consider to organically grow your website.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Influencers, SEO, and Getting More Done Than Seems Humanly Possible: Andy Crestodina on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Underrated But Effective Link-Building Tactics for SEO [Infographic]
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Google My Business: Set Up and Optimize Your Profile [Infographic]
- SEO Isn't an Exact Science... Here's What Marketers Can Do About That
- The Ultimate SEO Checklist [Infographic]