Content isn't always easy to write; in fact, depending on the topic or the industry, it can be downright difficult.
Throughout their careers, marketers will experience a variety of clients—B2B, B2C (including e-commerce), and special interest clients from an array of industries. Each requires unique content, and each has specific strategies or presentation elements they consider good and bad.
When developing content, consider a few things:
- Products or services most desired by consumers may change month to month or season to season.
- Content is built for the long term and the short term.
- Consumers will read it only if they can understand it, and fast.
Here are seven helpful tips for developing relevant, engaging, and creative content.
1. Discovery Meetings
A face-to-face meeting can be amazingly helpful. Taking the time to talk about the business's sales, goals, philosophy, and products or services can help you not only formulate ideas for relevant content but also make sure that you have all the knowledge and tools necessary to make it enticing and fresh.
- Philosophy: Consumers don't just want to know what you're marketing; they want to know why, and why they should buy it. What's in it for them or for someone else they care about?
- Current marketing strategy: Discuss what has been working and what hasn't. Adjust content type and distribution strategy accordingly. Doing so will save you a lot of time when creating your strategy and will likewise help you achieve more positive results faster.
- Ask questions customers do: Use those questions for building content. After all, the whole point of content is to satisfy a client's need, otherwise they won't care.
- Publications trending: Get your content published and linked to the company's website. Back-linking is huge for rankings and ratings.
2. Industry Research
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Four Steps for Conducting an Efficient Content Audit and Deriving the Most Value From Your Content
- How to Create High-Converting Descriptions for Your Product Pages
- Top B2B Content Marketing Statistics for Your 2020 Content Strategy [Infographic]
- Seven Ways to Build a Loyal Customer Base With Content Marketing
- The Content Characteristics of High-Performing Blog Posts