If you have a website, then you definitely know about Google Penguin, the codename for Google's algorithm launched on April 24, 2012 by Matt Cutts and his team to fight Web spam.
And, in all probability, you have thought about hiring, or you've actually hired, an SEO expert to keep your site safe from Google's spam-fighting algorithm updates.
Google Penguin debuted with the intent of reducing spam by decreasing the search engine ranking of websites that violate the Google Webmaster Guidelines. Avoiding any techniques that manipulate those guidelines is the best approach to keeping your website off Google Penguin's hit list.
Penguin checks website link profiles for mainly the following:
- No. of backlinks
- No. of nofollow links
- No. of dofollow links
- Links from C class IP sites
- Anchor text:
- Sitewide links
- Author bio link
- Contextual link
- Relevancy of website where the link is coming from
- Number of backlinks of other inner website pages
- Links from bad neighbors
- Links from news sites
- Links from authority sites
- Links from .edu and .org websites
- Paid links
Google has never mentioned which Off SEO techniques it considers good or bad, but not manipulating the Google Webmaster's Guidelines has been consistently reiterated. When websites don't follow those guidelines, often they are penalized by Google Penguin.
Once you've been slapped by Penguin, it's difficult to have the penalties revoked. But it's not impossible. This step-by-step Google Penguin penalty recovery guide will help you to dig yourself out of those costly penalties.
Check the Google Webmaster Tool
Whenever a website is targeted by Penguin, a message automatically at the site's webmaster account. You can easily check for this message in the "Manual Actions" section, in the left sidebar.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- The Most Effective Link-Building Strategies According to SEO Experts
- Three Off-Site Tactics That Seriously Boost SEO Traffic
- SEO vs. PPC: Which Search Marketing Strategy Should You Choose? [Infographic]
- Four Ways to Prepare for Voice Commerce
- The Top Google Search Rank Factors According to SEO Experts