Most marketing and social media professionals do not have a LinkedIn marketing or social-selling strategy aligned with revenue objectives.
Yet, strategy is the biggest difference between a B2B sales or marketing team that drives demand and enjoys consistent revenue opportunities and one that just has a presence and lots of connections it does not engage with.
Unfortunately, most marketing leaders and social media professionals on LinkedIn do not have a LinkedIn strategy. Jay Baer of Convince and Convert agrees: In a recent blog post, he expressed alarm at the number of B2B organizations and agencies jumping into social media platforms to take advantage of audience acquisition—and falling into the trap of thinking through a tactical prism instead of a strategic one.
You see, they have a shopping list of tactics that need to be completed, but there's little or no thought behind the connections they're making:
- No thought on what happens after that connection is made (how are they're going to turn that prospect into a client?).
- No thought about the content they're posting and how it's going to position them (if they did, they wouldn't be posting updates on the LinkedIn content platform that do not differentiate them.)
- No thought about the discussions they're creating and how they're going to get a prospect to move from the discussions to their blog or website to learn more.
- No thought about what happens after they get the prospect to their blog or site.
In short, there is no strategy for integrating LinkedIn into their everyday sales and marketing activities and programs; and, more important, there's no social media marketing strategy that's aligned with their revenue objectives.
Here are five strategies that sales and marketing leaders need to think about when engaging on LinkedIn.
Strategy 1: Your Social Media Presence
Look at your LinkedIn profile. Did you really take a strategic approach to creating it?
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Rate Card: How Much Social Influencers Charge Brands
- How Twitter's Algorithm Works (And How to Make It Work for You) [infographic]
- The Online Platforms With the Greatest Amount of Offensive Content [Infographic]
- The Top Influencers on Pinterest [Infographic]
- Social Media Image Sizes in 2019 [Infographic]