Finding your way to content marketing success is not always the easiest journey. To help guide you to your own content marketing success, this article will provide tips and tricks that I've learned along the way on my own journey.
That journey is uniquely meta: I run content marketing for a content marketing company. I'd like to say that I've always had our strategy under control. After all, this is our business. But let's get real. Back before content marketing was as common as it is today, I had little idea how to create content, much less content that people actually wanted.
After a three-year journey, sheer willpower, and a lot of A/B testing, we recently hit the 100K subscriber mark. Content marketing is now our highest-performing and most cost-efficient channel: For every $1 we put in, we get $14 out.
How did we make it happen? Here are four lessons and a few secrets to help you on your own journey to content marketing success.
1. Consistency and cadence trump volume
We analyzed data from over 10,000 articles across 100 customers, and found that publishing consistently is the No. 1 factor determining content marketing success.
Despite our initial thoughts, it turns out that the volume of content you publish doesn't necessarily translate to content marketing success. Rather, it's all about consistency and delivering a regular cadence of content.
2. Remove the guesswork: Create content you know will perform
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- E-Commerce Holiday Content: What to Write About, and for Whom [Infographic]
- The Cure for Crummy Copy: Laura Belgray of Talking Shrimp on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- How to Win at Content Marketing to Generation Z
- How to Create the Right Amount of the Right Type of Content
- Storytelling, Digital Transformation, Customer Experience... and You: Contently's Joe Lazauskas on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]