In the third quarter of 2009, Americans' consumption of new media formats grew at a brisk pace: DVR use increased 21% year over year, while the use of online video increased 34%, according to Nielsen's latest A2/M2 Three Screen Report.
Weekly Viewing Data
Although DVR and online video are becoming more widely used, consumers of all ages still spend the majority of their video time (nearly 99%) watching traditional television.
In the third quarter of 2009, Americans consumed a variety of media, including, on average:
- 31 hours of TV per week, with 31 minutes spent in playback mode with their DVR
- 4 hours on the Internet and 22 minutes watching online video
- 3 minutes watching mobile video
- Social networks are becoming a popular source for online video. Time spent viewing video on social networking sites increased 98% from October 2008 to October 2009.
- Mobile video viewing continues to grow, with 15.7 million Americans viewing video on their mobile phones in the third quarter of 2009, an increase of 53% compared with last year.
- Teens continue to watch mobile video the most, just over seven hours per month. Adults (age 45-54) report viewing nearly three hours of video on their mobile phones.
* TV in the home includes live usage plus any playback viewing within the measurement period. Timeshifted TV is playback primarily on a DVR but includes playback from VOD, DVD Recorders and services like Start Over.
** Internet figures are from home and work. Hours:minutes for Internet and video use are based on the universe of persons who used the Internet/watched online video. All Internet figures are monthly averages over the course of the quarter.
About the data: Data are from Nielsen's latest A2/M2 Three Screen Report (3Q09). Nielsen's A2/M2 Three Screens Reports provide the results from quarterly analyses from Nielsen's Anywhere Anytime Media Measurement Initiative (A2/M2).
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Facebook Ad Benchmarks: CPM, CPC, CTR, and Objectives Trends
- How Marketers Can Protect Their Online Ad Dollars From Fraud
- Programmatic Advertising Trends: Top Tactics, Challenges, and Metrics
- Eight Common Campaign Management Mistakes Agencies Make
- The Anatomy and Current State of Programmatic Advertising [Infographic]