This month only: Save $100 on PRO with code OCTOBER »

Real-World Education for Modern Marketers

Join Over 609,000 Marketing Professionals

Start here!
N E X T
Text:  A A

Web-based Email Use Declines as Mobile Soars

  |  9,475 views

More than 70 million US mobile users—roughly 30% of all mobile subscribers—accessed email  via mobile device as of November 2010, up 36% from the 51.6 million who did so a year earlier, according to comScore Media Metrix. Meanwhile, fewer visited Web-based email destinations during the period, and spent less time on such sites when doing so.

Moreover, some 43.5 million mobile users accessed email via mobile on a nearly daily basis as of November, up 40% from the 31.2 million who did so in the same period a year earlier.

Below, other findings from comScore's report on mobile and Web-based email use, comparing three-month averages ended Nov 2010 with those ended Nov 2009.

Shifts to Mobile Communications, by Age and Gender


Accessing mobile email increased by double-digits across all age segments, with two younger age groups showing the highest propensity to access email via mobile: Adults age 25-34 were 60% more than likely than mobile users on average to access mobile email; those age 18-24 were 46% more likely to do so.

Overall, men were 14% more likely to be users of mobile email.

Web-based Email Use, Engagement Declines

Some 153.4 million online adults visited Web-based email providers as of November, down 6% from the 162.9 million who did so in the previous year. Meanwhile, the number of minutes spent on email sites declined 9% during the study period, while total pages viewed fell 15%.

Despite such declines, however, email is still among the most popular activities on the Web, reaching more than 70% of the US online population each month, comScore notes.


Looking for great digital marketing data? MarketingProfs reviewed hundreds of research sources to create our most recent Digital Marketing Factbook (May 2010), a 296-page compilation of data and 254 charts, covering email marketing, social media, search engine marketing, e-commerce, and mobile marketing. Also check out The State of Social Media Marketing, a 240-page original research report from MarketingProfs.


Email Communications, by Age and Gender

Email use among the young fell most dramatically: The number of people age 12-17 visiting Internet-based email sites declined 24%, while engagement fell by one-half, with total minutes down 48% and total pages down 53%.

By contrast, email use increased among those age 55 and older: The number adults age 55-64 accessing Web-based email increased 15% with similar gains in engagement, while those age 65+ registered gains across all three metrics.

Regarding gender, males displayed a more dramatic decline: Total email minutes fell 12% among men, compared with 7% among women.


Join over 609,000 marketing professionals, and gain access to thousands of marketing resources! Don't worry ... it's FREE!

WANT TO READ MORE?
SIGN UP TODAY ... IT'S FREE!

We will never sell or rent your email address to anyone. We value your privacy. (We hate spam as much as you do.) See our privacy policy.

Sign in with one of your preferred accounts below:

Loading...

Rate this  

Overall rating

  • Not rated yet.

Add a Comment

Comments

  • by Melissa Cahoon Mon Jan 31, 2011 via web

    These statistics are extremely important for interactive marketing agencies that send blanket and customized emails for their clients. Making sure our emails are available on smart phones as well as "click-able" (interactive) can either make or break an email campaign. Great organization of the information!

    Thanks,
    Melissa Cahoon
    Interactive Marketing Intern @3birdsmarketing
    http://www.3birdsmarketing.com

  • by Sanjay Tue Feb 1, 2011 via web

    Extreemly useful for marketing executives planning online and mobile campaigns .. its a crutial insight given the fact that in India the peneration level of mobile has grown considerably.. planning seemless campaigns across mediums will help ..

  • by Debra Gaynor` Wed Feb 2, 2011 via web

    Looks like there is a great opportunity to market to young women via mobile. I just hope we can still do and not let the English language decline into acronyms....LOL

MarketingProfs uses single
sign-on with Facebook, Twitter, Google and others to make subscribing and signing in easier for you. That's it, and nothing more! Rest assured that MarketingProfs: Your data is secure with MarketingProfs SocialSafe!