You may have noticed the proliferation of QR codes in your mailbox in the last few years. We certainly are moving toward a digital world, and QR codes are part of that evolution.
A QR code is a two-dimensional barcode that's read by a camera-equipped smartphone with a QR code-scanning application (app). These codes let companies connect offline customers with online (Web) content in an engaging and interactive way.
How QR Codes Work
When customers scan your QR code with their smartphone, they can access a good deal more information than you would ever be able to fit on a direct mail piece, sign, ad, or business card.
The process is simple. A customer—or potential one—scans your QR code and is instantly directed to a Web page or other online content for...
- Product information
- Coupons and special offers
- Contest entries or giveaways
- Surveys and video clips
- Promotional or informational videos
- Sending of text or email messages
- Liking a Facebook page or follows on Twitter
- Checking in via foursquare or Google Places
When a Business Should Use a QR Code
QR Codes are a great choice if you want customers to...
- Learn something, such as product information or reviews
- Receive something, like special offers or coupons
- View videos about your business, products, or services
- Do something, such as provide an email address or mobile number
Plus, you can track when customers scan your QR code and which offers and messages interested them most. You can adjust your next print/QR campaign accordingly to give customers more of what makes them respond.