The sheer volume of content that an organization needs to produce if it's to match the marketing efforts of competitors is becoming overwhelming. A whopping 76% of marketers will produce more content in 2016 than they did in 2015, according to research from the Content Marketing Institute and MarketingProfs.
Keeping up is a tall order, but there's at least one safe shortcut you can take, and it's simply repurposing the arsenal of great content right under your nose: your company's presentation decks.
Here are my top tips for turning any common presentation, such as a sales deck or a company overview, into an asset that provides valuable information, turns prospects into buyers, and drives the bottom line.
1. Adjust top-level information
Unlike presentations, on-demand assets have to work hard to attract the attention of viewers. A good place to start is to rework the most prominent information, such as the title and whatever else is initially displayed.
For example, presenters spend very little time on the title slide of their presentations, so more often than not those slides are pretty boring. When refining this content for an online audience, you need to be compelling right out of the gate. Try introducing the piece with your most interesting or engaging visuals, or pull out something interesting from the body of the asset and place it at the beginning to help craft a new, more enticing introduction.
It's also important to rethink the title: It's what will appear in search results. And remember: You get only one chance to make a first impression. To be specific and relevant enough, dig through your data to determine who your online audience is and carefully re-craft a title based on those findings. If you need a little help with that latter part, check out services like Buzzsumo or Spike to help garner ideas.
2. Fill in any gaps and simplify what's already there
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- E-Commerce Holiday Content: What to Write About, and for Whom [Infographic]
- The Cure for Crummy Copy: Laura Belgray of Talking Shrimp on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- How to Win at Content Marketing to Generation Z
- How to Create the Right Amount of the Right Type of Content
- Storytelling, Digital Transformation, Customer Experience... and You: Contently's Joe Lazauskas on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]