Facebook users spend an average of 7.3 hours a week using the social site—roughly one-third of the amount they spend online—and while on Facebook, most are multitasking online, such as searching the Web or shopping and researching products, according to a survey from Morpace Inc.
Among surveyed Facebook users, the time spent on Facebook as a percentage of total online time varies by age and annual income:
- Those age 18-34 spend an average of 22.4 hours a week online, of which 8.5 hours, or 38%, is spent on Facebook.
- Those age 35-54 spend an average of 22.9 hours a week online, of which 7.5 hours, or 32.8%, is spent on Facebook.
- Those with annual household incomes greater than $100,000 spend an average of 9.0 hours a week on Facebook, or roughly 39% of their total Internet time.
Below, other findings from the Morpace Omnibus Report on Facebook.
Unmarried Facebook users spend significantly more time on the Internet each week than married ones: 23.8 hours vs. 20.8 hours.
There is also variability by ethnicity: Asians spend 10.6 hours a week on Facebook, or 40% of their total Internet time, whereas African-Americans spend 7.8 hours a week on Facebook (35% of their Internet time).
Multitasking While on Facebook
While logged on to Facebook, 68% of users say they also check email, 55% say they simultaneously search the Web, 47% say they watch TV, and 24% shop and research products and services.
- Unmarried consumers watch significantly more TV while on Facebook than married users: 54% vs. 40%.
- 52% of African American consumers report watching TV while on Facebook—the highest percentage among all ethnic groups.
- Only 5% of consumers report not multitasking while on Facebook.
About the data: Findings are from Morpace's monthly Omnibus Report, based on a survey of 1,000 adult consumers who use Facebook, conducted via online panel in May 2010.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- How to Create Engaging Instagram Carousel Posts [Infographic]
- Set Your Marketing Ablaze: Ryan Stewart Talks Cannabis Marketing on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Are Marketers Friends With Their Coworkers on Social Media?
- Top 5 Mistakes Companies Make on Instagram, and What to Do Instead
- The Work Life of a Social Media Manager [Infographic]