Among those 29%, more than one-half (54%) are first-time tablet buyers.
Below, additional findings from InMobi's Mobile Media Consumption Report, based on a survey of 689 mobile Web users, who are representative of all major platforms in the US market including Android and iOS, conducted in February 2012.
Among mobile Web users who intend to buy an "iPad 3":
- 44% say they would not consider another brand other than the iPad, but 29% would consider the Samsung Galaxy Tab, 14% would consider the Amazon Kindle, and 8% would consider the Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet.
- 65% would consider buying an iPad or iPad 2 at a reduced price instead of the iPad 3.
- 50% say they are willing to pay over $500 for the device.
- If the new iPad is priced higher than $599, 57% say they will buy an older model instead.
- 51% say they are buying the iPad 3 for entertainment purposes rather than business or education.
Among those intending to buy an iPad 3, the most anticipated features are faster processor speed (57%), better battery life (47%), a higher-quality screen (46%), and 4G connectivity (43%).
Roughly one-third (34%) of would-be iPad 3 buyers are anticipating a better camera.
Mobile Devices No. 1 Channel For Media
Consumer adoption of tablets is likely contributing to increased mobile media consumption: Mobile Web users consume an average of 9 hours of media each day, and mobile media accounts for 26% of that time:
Mobile Media Impacts Buying Decisions
Meanwhile, comfort with mobile advertising is already greater than TV or online advertising.
Among mobile Web users, 65% are more or equally comfortable with mobile advertising compared with TV or online channels.
Moreover, among mobile Web users, mobile media (tablets and phones) is more influential than than TV on purchasing decisions (59% vs. 57%):
About the study: InMobi conducted the on-device survey among 689 US mobile users in February 2012. The survey was distributed on InMobi's mobile advertising network and the data is representative of all major platforms in the US market, including Android and iOS.