Email volume increased 5.4% in the fourth quarter of 2012 vs. the same period a year earlier, though volume levels varied dramatically by industry, according to the Experian Marketing Services 2012 Q4 email benchmark report, which also found that email open rates were on average highest on Saturdays and Sundays.
Below, additional findings from Experian Marketing Services email study, based on campaigns conducted in the fourth quarter of 2012.
The travel industry recorded the largest increase in email volume during the quarter: Two-thirds of travel brands increased mailings, driving email volume up 21.4% YOY. (The category had a similarly large increase in the previous quarter.) Publishers (up 14.3%) and consumer products and services brands (10.4%) also recorded double-digit gains in email volume in 4Q12.
The media and entertainment and business products and services industries recorded double-digit declines in email volume in 4Q12 (down 17.0% and 11.1%, respectively).
Other findings issued by Experian for the fourth quarter:
- Unique open rates increased 12.8% YOY, from 14.4% in 4Q11, to 16.3% in 4Q12.
- Revenue per email grew 8%, from $0.13 in 4Q11, to $0.14 in 4Q12. (Revenue per email on a quarter-over-quarter basis was up 30%).
- Click-to-open rates fell 11.4%, from 16.2% in 4Q11, to 14.4% in 4Q12.
- Bounce rates declined 27.9%, from 3.1% in 4Q11, to 2.3% in 4Q12.
- Average orders rose 12.0%, from $160.99 in 4Q11, to $180.25 in 4Q12.
Mobile Driving Response Speeds