Real-World Education for Modern Marketers

Join Over 600,000 Marketing Professionals

Start here!
Text:  A A

How Brands Are Using Tumblr

by   |    |  2,150 views

Just under one-third (31%) of the Interbrand Top 100 Brands have created Tumblr accounts, according to a recent report by Simply Measured.

Most of those accounts are active, and 21 of them posted during the 30-day period examined in the report (July 5-August 4, 2013).

Most (27) of the 31 brands with Tumblr accounts also have Pinterest or Instagram accounts, suggesting that companies are using the service as a complement to those other social networks.

Below, additional key findings from the report.

Brand Activity Breakdown

  • 13% of the brands examined on Tumblr average three or more posts a week.
  • Six brands are taking their efforts much further, posting more than 10 times a week.

Content Types

95% of the brands' posts were photos in the 30-day period examined, and photos received 98% of all reblogs.

The Impact of Reblogs

  • 69% of brand posts are original content: i.e., they’re being posted to Tumblr for the first time by the brand. The remaining 31% of brand posts are reblogs of other user posts on Tumblr.
  • Unlike Twitter or Facebook, engagement on Tumblr has a relatively long shelf-life: Almost a third (29%) of all reblogs take place more than 30 days after the initial post.

About the research: The study was based on an analysis of Tumblr posts by the Interbrand Top 100 Brands from July 5 to August 4, 2013. The data came from Simply Measured's analytics and reporting platform.

Join over 600,000 marketing professionals, and gain access to thousands of marketing resources! Don't worry ... it's FREE!


We will never sell or rent your email address to anyone. We value your privacy. (We hate spam as much as you do.) See our privacy policy.

Sign in with one of your preferred accounts below:


Ayaz Nanji is an independent digital strategist and a co-founder of ICW Content, a marketing agency specializing in content creation for brands and businesses. He is also a research writer for MarketingProfs. He has worked for Google/YouTube, the Travel Channel, AOL, and the New York Times.

LinkedIn: Ayaz Nanji

Twitter: @ayaznanji

Rate this  

Overall rating

  • Not rated yet.

Add a Comment


  • by Amber Mon Sep 2, 2013 via web

    Tumblr is a great place to advertise your brand. The success will depend on how you use it.

  • by Michael Gietl Tue Sep 3, 2013 via web

    Yahoo must think Tumblr is serious if they paid 1.1 billion for it. Tumblr came up twice when I was doing research on the internet so I went to see what it was about. The blogs that came up seem geared to a young audience. Content didnít seem like a place where Fortune 500 Companies would be blogging. Am I missing something?

  • by Gracious Store Sun Sep 8, 2013 via web

    It is heart warming to know that many brands are not wasting their time in every social media, duplicating contents they had already shared with fans in other social media.

MarketingProfs uses single
sign-on with Facebook, Twitter, Google and others to make subscribing and signing in easier for you. That's it, and nothing more! Rest assured that MarketingProfs: Your data is secure with MarketingProfs SocialSafe!