However, not everyone is an early bird. Over a quarter (29%) of those surveyed don't plan to start shopping until after turkey day, and another 11.7%—including 17.3% of all men—admit they will probably wait until the last minute.
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on a data from a survey of 993 US online adults age 18 or older.
- 18.7% of shoppers surveyed say they will either spend much more or somewhat more on holiday gifts this year compared with last year.
- 46.9% plan to spend about the same, and 22.6% plan to spend less this year.
Digital: Relaxing and Convenient
- 91.7% of holiday shoppers plan to go online to research gifts and/or make purchases.
- 25.1% say their favorite aspect of shopping online (or with apps) is that it's relaxed; they avoid the stress of store crowds, finding parking, and more.
- Customers also like the convenience and efficiency of online shopping.
Make Way for Mobile
- 45.7% of respondents plan to use smartphones (up 51% year over year) and 41.3% plan to use tablets (up 190%) to go online and research/shop for holiday products and gifts.
- Moms are more likely to use a desktop (45.1%) versus a laptop (29.1%) for holiday shopping; women who do not have children are more likely (53.4%) to use a laptop than moms.
- Dads are heavy tech users for holiday shopping: 60.2% use laptops, 53.9% use desktops, 56.6% use smartphones, and 54.8% use tablets.
Mobile Device Use in Stores
- 40.3% of respondents who use either a smartphone or tablet to shop use their devices inside physical retail locations.
- 55.9% use their devices inside retailers to research and compare prices.
- 43.7% use their devices inside stores to research and compare product reviews.
For more findings from the report, check out the following infographic:
About the research: The report was based on data from a survey conducted in October 2013 of 993 US online adults age 18 or older.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Listen While You Work: The Media Habits of Remote Employees
- The Stunning Amount of Data Generated Online Every Minute [Infographic]
- The Novel Economy, Generation N, and Thriving in a Digital-First Environment: Futurist Brian Solis on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- B2B Buyers' Top Challenges With Their Current Vendors
- Would People Rather Watch an Ad or Share Their Email Address?