Specifically, among surveyed consumers, 57.4% say advertising claims are "somewhat exaggerated," and 19.0% say they are "very exaggerated," Lab42 reported.
Only 2.8% of consumers surveyed say the claims in various ads are very accurate:
The new study gauges perceptions of popular forms of advertising such as print, television, Internet, and social media.
Below, additional findings from Lab42.
Comsumers have mixed feelings about ads they view as exaggerated:
- 37.6% say they think ads should be more accurate.
- 32.4% say they "know what ads are trying to do."
- 16.6% say they wish there were laws to regulate ads.
- 8% say they just enjoy the ads they see.
- 5% say they don't pay attention to ads.
Perceptions of Ads by Industry