The analysis was based on survey data from a panel of people with Web access living in four countries at different stages Internet development: India, South Africa, Spain, and the United States.
To determine the age profiles of top platforms, GlobalWebIndex asked respondents of various ages to list which social networks they had used in the past month.
Although the results varied based national demographics (e.g., India has the youngest Internet population and so a smaller percentage of older users), some trends can be seen across all four countries:
- Facebook has an older age profile than Twitter in all countries surveyed, though the gap is more marked in Spain and the US than in South Africa and India. In addition, the oldest Facebook user profile is in the United States, most likely because of the maturity of the market and the platform's ubiquity there.
- LinkedIn and Google+ are the most commonly used social networks by the oldest demographic surveyed (55-64).
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- The Value in Going Viral (And Five Steps to Improve Your Odds)
- Four Types of Influencers for Your Influencer Marketing Campaigns
- On Social Media, a Little Brand Personality Goes a Long Way
- Using Influencer Marketing on LinkedIn for World Domination (And Brand Awareness): Goldie Chan on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Instagram Stories 101: What Marketers Need to Know [Infographic]