However, smaller companies share more links and use more hashtags in their tweets than their bigger brethren.
The study examined the Twitter activity in 4Q13 of the Interbrand 2013 Top 100 Brands and the Forbes 100 Best Small Companies in America—which includes organizations with annual revenues of $5 million to $1 billion.
Not surprisingly, Simply Measured's analysis found the Interbrand 100 have more followers and retweets than the smaller companies. However, the larger brands are also posting more often to Twitter: They tweeted 12 times a day on average in 4Q13, compared with three times daily for the smaller companies.
Below, additional key findings from the report.
- Of the Interbrand Top 100 Brands, 98% tweeted at least once daily during 4Q13, and 92% tweeted more than once a day.
- In contrast, 56% of the 100 Best Small Companies didn't tweet on a daily basis.
- For the Interbrand 100 companies, including image links in tweets paid off well in terms of engagement.
- Tweets that included pic.twitter.com links averaged 210 engagements (replies, mentions, retweets, and favorites) in 4Q13. The next highest-performing types were Tumblr and Pinterest links, followed by Vine links.
Top 10 Brands
- The top 10 brands (by engagement) from the Interbrand 100 companies accounted for 60% of the list's engagement in 4Q13, even though they accounted for only 38% of the total audience.
- Those 10 brands averaged 1,562 tweets per month, more than 4x as many as the entire-list average of 380 tweets.
About the research: The report was based on data from the 4Q13 Twitter account activity of the Interbrand 2013 Top 100 Brands and the Forbes 100 Best Small Companies in America.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Set Your Marketing Ablaze: Ryan Stewart Talks Cannabis Marketing on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Are Marketers Friends With Their Coworkers on Social Media?
- Top 5 Mistakes Companies Make on Instagram, and What to Do Instead
- The Work Life of a Social Media Manager [Infographic]
- Five Best-Practices for B2B Social Media Influencer Marketing