Digital marketers consider email the most effective digital tactic for building awareness (41% of respondents), boosting acquisition (37%), and increasing conversion (42%), the survey of 300 US-based digital marketers found.
In particular, digital marketers say email shines for customer retention, with 56% of respondents citing it as the most effective tactic.
Respondents with tight budgets especially appreciate email's value early in the sales process: Significantly more respondents with smaller budgets rank email as the most popular tactic for achieving brand awareness than do companies with big budgets.
Below, additional key findings from the report.
- Though email is viewed as the most effective digital tactic across much of the sales funnel, it remains part of a multipronged approach. Most marketers surveyed get fewer than 25% of their new customers via email campaigns.
- The four most digital tactics used most by respondents are email marketing (86% use regularly), social media marketing (72%), search engine optimization (70%), and content marketing (64%).
- The top three digital-marketing tactics that respondents expect to increase their spend on are social media marketing (38% plan to increase), content marketing (28%), and email marketing (25%).
- Companies with digital marketing budgets over $1 million are more likely to foresee significantly increasing their spend on social media marketing. Companies with smaller budgets plan to spend more on content marketing and email marketing.
- Though many marketers plan to increase their spend on social media marketing, most (52%) agree with the following statement: "It is difficult to prove ROI for social media marketing."
About the research: The report was based on data from a survey of 300 US-based digital marketers.