Mobile advertising has also been a top priority for retailers, with 32% of marketers surveyed saying they have spent more on the channel this year compared with last.
Email marketing has been popular as well, with 31% of respondents saying they have spent more on the tactic this year.
Marketing channels with a significant decline in investment by retailers this year include: Display advertising (28% spent less), content marketing (28%), and paid search (24%).
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on data from a survey of 302 people responsible for marketing and technology at US retail companies across a range of sizes, geographies, and verticals.
Most Used Channels
- Social media and email are the two most used digital channels by retailers, employed by 85% of respondents.
Most Effective Channels
- Social media ranked as the most effective tactic for acquiring customers, with 50% of respondents listing it in the top three.
- Referral marketing, SEO, and email marketing are also seen as being effective channels for customer acquisition.
- Email marketing is seen as the most effective channel for converting retail customers.
About the research: The report, which was based on data from a survey of 302 people responsible for marketing and technology at U.S. retail companies across a range of sizes, geographies, and verticals.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Four Successful Ways to Combine Inbound and Outbound Marketing
- The 'Purpose Gap' Facing Many B2B Brands
- The Ultimate Guide to Coming Up With Useful Ideas
- Four Marketing Approaches That Differentiate Successful B2B Brands
- Close the Marketing Performance Gap: How to Start Delivering on the Most Important Metrics