In this article, you'll learn how...
- Email marketers can improve their campaigns using social media
- Social media can be useful for gaining customer insights
When social media use started to take off, many posed the question, "Is social media going to kill email?" Now, email marketers realize they can integrate the two channels by using social media as a catalyst for greater marketing relevancy and results.
Email marketers can drive measured, improved campaign performance by...
1. Optimizing social sharing within email by using social calls to action to engage consumers
2. Gathering insight from key conversations to ensure greater email relevance
3. Integrating testing across email and social to discover what type of content works best and where
The first step to integrating social and email marketing is to think of your email messaging in terms of social media, because they have significantly different natures. Email marketing is often used to push content out, whereas social media is much more conversational and it's initiated by the customer.
To better align the two, ask yourself: Is the content of this email share-worthy? Is this content, both the message type and its structure, sharable—or should I share a message that's different from the email itself?
It's important to take that a step further because merely planting social share buttons at the bottom of an email won't necessarily add value to the campaign. Featuring a social call to action in the email, however, should drive stronger results.