The New York metro area has the highest per capita ownership of emerging technologies (iPads, netbooks, smartphones, and Blu-ray players) in the US, whereas the Phoenix metro area has the highest ownership of older gadgets, such as VCRs and CRT (cathode ray tube) TVs, according to a survey from Retrevo.
The San Francisco Bay Area boasts the highest ownership of green technologies—such as recycled electronics devices and energy-efficient flat panel TVs—and the lowest per-capita levels of power-hungry CRT TVs. Bay Area residents are also most likely to stream media (e.g., music, TV shows, and movies) via the Web.
Greater Atlanta ranks highest in TV ownership, with households in that region reporting more TVs in more places in their homes, such as in bathrooms and garages. Atlanta metro residents also record the most TV shows and watch more TV than residents of other regions.
Below, other findings from The 2010 Retrevo Gadget Census, which explores tech-gadget ownership trends across the US.
Looking for great digital marketing data? MarketingProfs reviewed hundreds of research sources to create our most recent Digital Marketing Factbook (May 2010), a 296-page compilation of data and 254 charts, covering email marketing, social media, search engine marketing, e-commerce, and mobile marketing. Also check out The State of Social Media Marketing, a 240-page original research report from MarketingProfs.
Gadget Ownership, by State
Gadget ownership varies significantly across the US:
- Maryland households are 48% more likely than those in other states to own at least one smartphone and 13% more likely to own at least one flat panel TV.
- New York households are 52% more likely than those in other states to own at least one iPad.
- Massachusetts households are 49% more likely than those in other states to own an e-reader.
- Colorado has the most laptops: Its households are 13% more likely than those in other states to own at least one laptop, just edging out Georgia and Minnesota.
- Michigan residents are 8% more likely than those in other states to have a point-and-shoot camera in their home.
- Pennsylvania has the most feature phones: Its residents are 14% more likely than those in other states to own one.
- California is the greenest state: Its residents are 47% more likely than those in other states to have recycled an old gadget in the previous year.