Education, retail, and computer hardware/electronics are the best-performing verticals in email marketing, according to a recent report released by Silverpop that benchmarked open rates, click-through rates, and churn metrics across 14 industries and four geographic regions.
In addition, top marketers across all industries far outpace their peers—with top quartile performers achieving click-through rates nearly four times higher than the median (8.8% compared with 2.3%).
Among the other findings:
- Emails sent by top performers in the education vertical had the highest unique open rate (46.1%) and highest click-through rate (12.8%).
- The healthcare vertical had the best click-to-open rate (33%), which measures click-through rates as a percentage of messages opened.
- Bottom quartile performers had a hard bounce rate of 6.9%, while top quartile companies experienced a rate of only 0.1%.
Below, additional email marketing benchmarks and key findings from the 2013 Email Marketing Metrics Study:
Unique open rate was defined in the report as the percentage of received messages that were opened by one recipient.
- Consumer products scored the highest open rate among industry verticals, tallying a median 25.4% unique open rate.
- While median open rates were fairly close across the board, top quartile performers achieved open rates more than four times higher than bottom quartile performers.
Ayaz Nanji is an independent digital strategist and a co-founder of ICW Content, a marketing agency specializing in content creation for brands and businesses. He is also a research writer for MarketingProfs. He has worked for Google/YouTube, the Travel Channel, AOL, and the New York Times.
LinkedIn: Ayaz Nanji