Online advertisement click-through rates (CTRs) are highest on Fridays, and the peak time for clicks occurs between 11 AM and 2 PM every day, according to a recent report from online ad network Infolinks.
The company studied a sample of one trillion impressions from its publisher network, which includes more than 100,000 websites, in 1Q13 to determine which US states, days of the week, and hours of the day perform best in terms of click-through rates.
Below, key findings.
Best Times for Clicks
- Visitors tend to interact more with Web ads during the day, and clicks drop as the evening wears on.
- The peak in clicks occurs between 11 AM and 2 PM, when visitors interact with ads 14% more than Infolink's average CTR.
- Later at night, between 11 PM and 2 AM, there is a significant drop in CTR.
Best Days for Clicks
- Click-through rates hit their lowest on Wednesdays, when they dip to -1.86% below Infolink's average.
- The peak comes on Fridays, when CTRs are nearly 4% higher than most weekdays and more than 6% higher than on Wednesdays.
Best States for Clicks
- The four states with the highest ad click-through rates are located in the southern part of the United States: Mississippi, South Carolina, Alabama, and Louisiana.
- The four states with the lowest CTRs are scattered across the country: California, Iowa, Georgia, and Washington.
About the research: The report was based on data from a sample of one trillion impressions from Infolink's publisher network, which includes more than 100,000 websites.
Ayaz Nanji is an independent digital strategist and a co-founder of ICW Content, a marketing agency specializing in content creation for brands and businesses. He is also a research writer for MarketingProfs. He has worked for Google/YouTube, the Travel Channel, AOL, and the New York Times.
LinkedIn: Ayaz Nanji