Organic search still leads as the largest channel for online e-commerce customer acquisition, and email as a channel has exploded in growth over the past four years, according to a recent report by Custora.
The study, which examined data from 86 US retailers across 14 industries, found organic search to be the largest source of e-commerce customers (15.8% of all customers acquired), followed by cost-per-click (9.8%). Since 2009, customer acquisition via email has quadrupled, growing to 6.8%. Affiliate referral traffic has also grown significantly, and now accounts for 6.3% of customers acquired.
In contrast, Facebook accounted for just .17% of all e-commerce customers acquired, and Twitter was responsible for less than .01%.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- The Email Tactics Used by Senders With High Open Rates
- 14 Ways to Use Email Marketing (Besides Sending Newsletters)
- Email Marketing and Artificial Intelligence: What's Coming and What You Need to Know
- 10 Email Subject Line Formulas to Skyrocket Your Open Rate
- Work Email Behavior: Time, Inbox, and Usefulness Trends