Larger, Rising Star display ad formats introduced by the IAB in 2012 had a 70% higher click-through rate (CTR) than smaller traditional display formats, the analysis of more than 100 billion impressions delivered in 2013 found.
Moreover, Rising Star formats also had a significantly higher average interaction rate (1.98% vs. 1.08%) and video completion rate (53.44% vs. 44.77%).
Below, additional key findings from the report.
CTR by Ad Type
- In-stream video ads delivered a 4.5x higher CTR on average compared with Flash ads, and a 2.7X higher CTR compared with rich media ads.
- Rich media ads with video had a 22% higher average click-through rate compared with rich media ads without video.
- Only 60.4% of the impressions analyzed in the report were deemed "viewable" by IAB standards.
- Viewability varied widely by vertical, with employment and sports publishers having the highest rate (72.6%) and community publishers the lowest (58.4%).
15-Second vs. 30-Second Video Ads
- 30-second video ads delivered 55% more clicks on average than 15-second video ads.
- 15-second videos had only a 6% higher completion rate on average than 30-second spots.
About the research: The report was based on an analysis of more than 100 billion ad impressions delivered in 2013.