July is the next most popular month for starting back-to-school shopping (29.2% of parents surveyed), followed by June (7.8%).
Some 6.6% of parents say they wait until after school starts to begin shopping.
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on data from a survey of 1,000 parents of school-age children.
How They Shop
- 62.9% of respondents plan to do most of their back-to-school shopping in-store.
- 17.1% plan to do most of their shopping online via a computer; 6.6% online via a tablet; 4.8% online via a smartphone.
- 40.3% of respondents say they are somewhat confident about the current state of the economy.
- 36.8% of respondents are not at all confident.
- 14.7% say they are confident.
- 8.2% are very confident.
Confidence Compared With 2013
- 43.3% of respondents feel the economy is about the same this year compared with last year.
- 27.1% feel the economy is better this year.
- 20.1% feel the economy is worse this year.
For more highlights from the report, check out the infographic:
Ayaz Nanji is an independent digital strategist and a co-founder of ICW Content, a marketing agency specializing in content creation for brands and businesses. He is also a research writer for MarketingProfs. He has worked for Google/YouTube, the Travel Channel, AOL, and the New York Times.
LinkedIn: Ayaz Nanji