A significantly larger share of traffic goes to the first advertisement displayed in search results on smartphones and tablets compared with desktops, found the report, which was based on data from Marin clients in the United States.
On average, 39% of clicks go to the first ad Google displays on smartphones and 36% go to the first ad on tablets, compares with 30% of clicks that go to the first ad on desktops.
A significantly higher click rate on the first ad displayed is not especially surprising for smartphone searches, where Google often will only show one ad at the top of a page, but it is somewhat unexpected for tablets, where results pages have the same format as desktops.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Influencers, SEO, and Getting More Done Than Seems Humanly Possible: Andy Crestodina on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Underrated But Effective Link-Building Tactics for SEO [Infographic]
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Google My Business: Set Up and Optimize Your Profile [Infographic]
- SEO Isn't an Exact Science... Here's What Marketers Can Do About That
- The Ultimate SEO Checklist [Infographic]