People who own smartphones are most likely to be hyper users of email and Facebook: 45% of smartphone owners check email constantly during the day (via multiple devices) and 28% check Facebook with the same frequency, according to a survey from ExactTarget.
Fewer non-smartphone owners check email (28%) and Facebook (12%) throughout the day.
More smartphone owners check into Twitter constantly during the day: 5% do, whereas just 2% of non-smartphone owners check in that frequently.
Below, other findings form ExactTarget's survey of 1,500 Internet users adults age 15 and older.
Email, Facebook User Segments
Email users are less inclined to check email throughout the day, regardless of device:
- 24% of email users check email via home computer constantly during the day.
- 16% check email via home or work computer throughout the day.
- 11% check email via mobile phone throughout the day.
- 2% check email via iPad or other tablet computer throughout the day.
Facebook users, meanwhile, check email more often than Facebook throughout the day:
- 25% check email via home computer constantly during the day.
- 17% check email via work or school computer throughout the day.
- 14% check email via mobile phone throughout the day.