However, most would only do so with known or favorite brands and would want to ensure the messages contain relevant marketing opportunities, alerts, and notices that they have elected to receive.
The vast majority of survey respondents (88%) said they should have the option to opt in before a company contacts them on their mobile devices.
Asked why they would share mobile location data with a company...
- 47% said they would do so in order to receive relevant offers or discount coupons.
- 45% said in order to receive information they have requested.
- 36% said to help solve customer service issues.
- 24% said in order to check-in or post on social networking sites.
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on data from a survey of 1,500 consumers in the US and seven European countries.
- Survey respondents said the top reasons they would want to send a text message to a company were to enter a competition (54%) or request information (58%).
- 23% of respondents are interested in receiving text messages offering deals based on location.
- 16% would be interested in push notifications with updates, coupons, or deals.
- 80% of respondents indicated that downloading a company's app to their mobile device also meant they would be open to receiving location-based text or push notifications from that same company.
- Not surprisingly, respondents said that those text or push notifications should be relevant to them.
About the research: The report was based on data from a survey of 1,572 mobile users over the age of 18 who had downloaded an app in the past 12 months in the following countries: the US, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, and Italy. The survey was conducted between July 16, 2013 and July 24, 2013.