The most common types of products bought online in the last year include electronics (69% percent of consumers surveyed purchased online in 2013), books (67%), clothing (63%), household goods (38%), and office supplies (30%).
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on data a survey of more than 1,000 US consumers.
Top Purchase Drivers
- 80% of consumers surveyed are more likely to purchase a product online when offered free shipping, and 66% when offered one-day shipping.
- 64% of consumers are more likely to purchase when offered free returns and exchanges.
- 30% would spend more than $1,000 on a product online with free shipping and returns, compared with 10% who would do so without free shipping and returns.
- 95% of consumers surveyed purchased something from Amazon.com in the past year.
- 40% of shoppers are willing to purchase any type of product from Amazon.
- Consumers are somewhat hesitant to purchase groceries and luxury goods from Amazon, though the majority would still do so.
Ayaz Nanji is an independent digital strategist and a co-founder of ICW Content, a marketing agency specializing in content creation for brands and businesses. He is also a research writer for MarketingProfs. He has worked for Google/YouTube, the Travel Channel, AOL, and the New York Times.
LinkedIn: Ayaz Nanji