The report was based on Klout Topics data (categorized interests, passions, and content areas) from over 580 million people around the world.
The analysis found music and television rank as the No. 1 and No. 2 most popular topics, respectively, on both Facebook and Twitter. Creating and sharing content concerning celebrities, software, holidays, films, and business is also extremely popular on both social networks.
Overall, 40% of topic interactions occur around the top 10 content areas on Facebook and Twitter, with the pattern of engagement looking roughly similar for each network.
However, the remaining 60% of all engagement comes from topics beyond the top 10, and the percentage of interactions with those subjects differs significantly by network.
Among the most noticeable variances in topic engagement between Facebook and Twitter are the following:
- Restaurants: Facebook (76th most popular topic), Twitter (112th most popular); variance: 36 spots.
- Homework: Facebook 196, Twitter 98; variance 98.
- Dogs: Facebook 23, Twitter 95; variance 72.
- Cats: Facebook 52, Twitter 104; variance 52.
- Babies: Facebook 21, Twitter 66; variance 45.
- Parenting: Facebook 22, Twitter 50; variance 28.
- Customer Service: Facebook 197, Twitter 89; variance 108.
About the research: The report was based on Klout Topics data (categorized interests, passions, and content areas) from over 580 million people around the world.