The report was based on data from 136,834 tweets and 23,330,738 retweets, replies, mentions, and favorites sent in the third quarter of 2014 by the brands on the Interbrand 100 list.
Nearly half (49%) of the brands examined tweeted 1-5 times per day on average in 3Q14, and 36% tweeted 6-25 times per day, the analysis found.
Just 9% of the Interbrand 100 tweeted more than 25 times per day, on average, and only 4% tweeted less than once a day.
Below, additional key findings from the report.
Types of Tweets Sent
- Replies accounted for 70% of brand tweets in 3Q14—up from 61% in 4Q13.
- 24% of all the messages examined were regular tweets; 6% were retweets.
- Engagement with brand tweets in 3Q14 was up 83% from 4Q13.
- The number of retweets of brand tweets in 3Q14 increased 89% from 4Q13.
- The Interbrand 100 companies had 27% more followers in 3Q14 than in 4Q13, accounting for some but not all of the increase in engagement.
Engagement by Tweet Type
- Photos made up 45% of the tweets examined and accounted for 51% of all engagement.
- Links accounted for 37% of the tweets, but they were responsible for only 26% of the replies and retweets.
- Tweets with hashtags received 243 replies and retweets each, on average.
- Tweets with no hashtags received only 196 replies and retweets, on average.
About the research: The report was based on data from 136,834 tweets and 23,330,738 retweets, replies, mentions, and favorites sent in the third quarter of 2014 by the brands on the Interbrand 100 list.