Moreover, 84% of holiday shoppers say free shipping influences their online holiday purchase decisions to some degree.
The report was based on data from a survey of 1,000 US holiday shoppers who were asked about what they want to see from retailers during the season and what makes them want to buy. A separate survey was sent to 100 major US retailers asking how they plan to entice shoppers this holiday season.
Despite the overwhelming popularity of free shipping, just 18% of the online-only merchants polled say they plan to offer it on all purchases this holiday season; 41% plan to offer free shipping on certain order values/at certain times, and 29% plan to do so as limited-time promotions.
Below, additional key findings from the report.
Types of Promotions
- 71% of consumers say percent-discount promotions make them want to buy, and 72% of retailers say they plan to use these types of promotions this holiday season.
- 52% of consumers say they like "buy one, get one free" promotions, but only 38% of retailers say plan to use them this holiday season.
- 54% of Millennial shoppers say flash sales are more likely to make them buy.
- Interest in limited-time offers declines with age; only 39% of shoppers age 30-39 and 16% of shoppers age 50-64 say they want to see these sorts of sales.
About the research: The report was based on data from a survey of 1,000 U.S. holiday shoppers and 100 major retailers.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Listen While You Work: The Media Habits of Remote Employees
- The Stunning Amount of Data Generated Online Every Minute [Infographic]
- The Novel Economy, Generation N, and Thriving in a Digital-First Environment: Futurist Brian Solis on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- B2B Buyers' Top Challenges With Their Current Vendors
- Would People Rather Watch an Ad or Share Their Email Address?